26 November 2016

Out of Inspiration | Writing Secrets 101

For the past few weeks, I've been totally out of inspiration -- I didn't even have the desire to continue writing which was super sad.  I even came close to completely quitting.  I had been feeling really hopeless with my writing; like no one wanted to read it and I would never get anywhere.  I tried a few tactics to try to heal and inspire myself like posting a chapter of the book I am working on on this blog, giving eight chapters of my book to my mom for the first time ever to read, forcing myself to write a chapter, re-reading my plot multiple times and editing, etc . . . I think you get the idea.  Nothing was working and I was feeling super lonely and hopeless.  The ditch I was in just seemed to have no ladder to get me out.

I have been so bad about reading this past month (besides schoolbooks) so I decided to grab one of my all-time favorites, Gone With The Wind, about a week ago to re-read, but I soon lost my impulse to finish it.  I can't even tell you how many books I've started by not finished this year -- Girl of the Limberlost, Gone With The Wind, The Bird in the Tree, Pilgrim Inn, The Book on Writing, How to Analyze People on Sight, Alice in Wonderland, Virginia, Northanger Abbey, Betty Leicester, etc . . .  The list is endless.
Wednesday afternoon, I decided I was going to go through my bookshelf to look for a good book to read.  And as I was cracking open dusty books, pretty much all of them with a bookmark placed halfway through, I realized something.

I can only write when I am inspired by others' writing.

As soon as I thought that, I knew it was true.  Everything now made sense -- my loneliness, stress, feeling uninspired.  Real life just isn't enough to inspire me fully, I guess, which is an amazing discovery for me as a writer.  (All right, I feel a little better after this lovely ramble).

~ I think this is an important lesson for a writer to learn -- each in their own way -- to know and understand what inspires.  Whether it be reading books, taking notes about your life to put in your story, traveling, or any sort of artistic pastime.  Get to know your characters and plot better.  Read books about writing.  Takes notes from the books your are reading about plot structure.  



Hope this post entertained you a bit. :)  


Let's chat!
How was your thanksgiving?


Click to view

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, man! SO sorry to hear that! Reading this, it was instructing to see how different writers are. For example, you and me. I realized that I almost take my writing from life, as where you take yours from books. But the way you said you can't take writing from life, is almost like it's not doable, or the way that life is so empty without Christ...
    Hmm, I might think more about it!! XD In the meantime, I hope your writers-blocking thingie comes to an end, I suggest reading Escape From Mr. Lemoncello's Library and The Candymakers, both amazing books. :) But if you don't like them, best not to force it. ;)

    Lovelove,
    Amelia xxx
    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I totally agree with you. And you made a great point that maybe life just isn't what I need for my particular books. That the modern day world isn't inspiring to me for my current stories.
      Thanks! Me too. :) Those books sound amazing -- I'll check them out. :) Haha, you make it sound like you're trying to give me medicine: "but if you don't like them, best not to force it". LOL

      Delete

I love feedback! Please let me know what you think! Why, if you don't comment, I will never know that you stopped by my little space and will never get to meet you. <3