24 February 2017

Writing Secrets 101 | creating drop-caps

Hi there!
Has anyone ever heard of a "drop-cap?"  It's that fancy letter you sometimes see in books at the start of chapters.  They're used to embellish documents and make things look a bit more put together—almost like a newspaper.  These are public domain images of drop caps:




 Here a quick tutorial I made for anyone who's interested in making a drop cap in GoogleDocs.  They're super easy and make your novel look a lot more formatted.  I haven't done a ton of drop caps yet, but hope to in the future.  Enjoy!

Select insert>drawing

Create a text box

Type the letter you want drop-capped and resize the text box so it is smaller than the letter.
Change your text size to the biggest (96) and now would be the time to choose a different font if you want to.

Center your letter (my mouse is highlighting that option in the right top corner) and also click that button with the two arrows pointing at each other, right below the centering option.
SAVE AND CLOSE.

Click "wrap text"

Choose the "1/16 margin" and customize how you want your letter placed.
Have fun!!


Some extra links for you:
http://code.stephenmorley.org/html-and-css/creating-drop-caps/

http://www.edugoogdroid.com/2016/02/text-box-or-drop-cap-with-google-docs.html

http://pagesfaq.blogspot.com/2006/11/how-do-i-create-drop-caps.html

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=drop%20caps&rs=typed&term_meta[]=drop%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=caps%7Ctyped

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely love drop caps! I hope to add them to most of my stories in their final drafts.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellie! They are definitely super fun :D

      Delete
  2. I love hand-lettering drop-caps so much! Aggggggh thank you so much for this post, I bet I'll have a blast playing around with this. XD

    Amelia xxx
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I should try handlettering them! That sounds fun. :D
      No problem! Glad you enjoyed it ;)

      Delete
  3. This is so so great!

    Honestly, I've actually never even wondered how these were made. I guess it was one of those things that I thought you just click a simple button, or make a letter a size 16 and ten proceed to write in size 12. Obviously not, apparently.

    This is really great! Thanks for the tutorial!

    Time to try it out!

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph! Glad you enjoyed it.
      Ah I totally understand! :D
      No problem. :)

      Delete
  4. Ohmygoodness!!! Thank you for sharing this! I've always wondered how to do that... Guess who's going to be giving her word docs a facelift?? lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally!! Thank YOU for reading it! Yay!

      Delete

I love feedback! Please let me know what you think! Why, if you don't comment, I will never know that you stopped by my little space and will never get to meet you. <3